Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Greek Tomato Salad

This salad was so refreshing after a week long vacation. In the past week I feel like I have eaten mass amounts of grease at every meal, and my diet was lacking good fresh food. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed every bit of grease that I consumed, but after a while I start to crave something healthy. While making this salad I was reminded of my Grandma. She was an amazing cook, who even wrote two cookbooks, but she used to make a great salad that was a staple at every meal that she hosted. The ingredients were different from this, but it was simple and versatile just like this one. This salad could accompany any number of entrees because of it's simplicity. It's bright colors also add a beautiful element to any meal! You know I am a sucker for pretty food :-) I upped the amount of garlic from one clove to three. I thought it was perfect, but this would definitely be too much for someone who does not LOVE garlic. I did not use the green pepper, only because our market did not have any good ones this week. It was good without it, but in the future, when possible, I will add it to have some extra crunch in there. I also only peeled half of the tomatoes because frankly, peeling tomatoes is slimy, messy, and just not very fun. I had a band-aid on my finger after the first tomato. It didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other, so I think in the future I will leave the skin on. It has a lot of the nutrients in it after all!

*Recipe from Simply In Season

Combine in a large bowl:
8 medium Tomatoes (peeled and sliced)
1 medium Onion (thinly sliced)
1 Green Pepper (chopped; optional)
1 Cucumber (chopped; optional)




















Mix in a small bow:
2 Tbsp fresh Basil, Mint, or Parsley (chopped)
1 Tblsp Olive Oil
1 Tblsp Wine Vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar
1 Clove Garlic (minced, optional) In my opinion this should definitely not be optional...just my opinion...






















Pour over the vegetables and toss lightly. Salt and Pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh cheese such as: shredded mozzarella or crumbled feta.




No comments:

Post a Comment