Saturday, January 2, 2010

No Bake Oatmeal Cookie Balls


"No bake" means you are basically eating a ball of cookie dough, so really, what is not to love here? I found this recipe on Taste and Tell's blog and immediately bookmarked it, knowing that some day I would need a quick, sweet recipe, and this fit the bill today. I have been super lazy all weekend, but needed to make something sweet for church tomorrow. This took hardly any effort, I had mostly everything in my pantry, and I didn't even have to turn the oven on (though I did have to find a place to squeeze it into my refrigerator between all of our leftovers from this past food packed week). When I say I had almost everything on hand, I mean that I was missing confectioner's sugar. It was insanely cold out and I could not convince myself to walk the 3 blocks to the store, so I substituted coconut instead. I had to add a tiny bit of honey to the coconut flakes to get them to stick to the dough, but it tastes great, and think I will always make them this way. I am not a huge fan of confectioner's sugar-coated cookies anyway because they are always messy and kinda dry, so I am happy that I substituted. But, try it whichever way you prefer, the kids and adults in your life will love you for it.

No Bake Oatmeal Cookie Balls
*Adapted from Taste and Tell

2 Cups rolled oats
3/4 Cup white sugar
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 Cup (or 1 stick) butter, softened
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 Cup powdered sugar or Coconut
drizzle of honey (if using coconut)

Combine oats, sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl. Add the water, vanilla, butter and peanut butter and use your hands to mix until all ingredients are incorporated, and you don't have any dry crumbs hanging out at the bottom of the bowl.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll in confectioner's sugar or coconut. ***If you are using coconut, pour it into a bowl big enough to roll the dough in, and drizzle a little honey in along with it. Mix it up-if it is still not sticking to the dough, add a tiny bit more. Try not to add too much, as these are pretty sweet on their own. ***
Place finished cookies on a cookie sheet and chill for at least 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment