Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cabbage Soup

First I have to apologize for the horrible pictures lately.  I have been using our point-and-shoot camera since dinner usually isn't ready til after dark and my Flash is currently being repaired.  So, hopefully that issue will be resolved soon, but bear with me for now.
Now, on to the soup!  I love cabbage, and I love soup. If I could eat soup every day I would.  Tim hates cabbage, and is okay eating soup about once a week in the colder months to entertain my love for it.  I never buy cabbage because I know Tim won't eat it, but it's not my fault if our CSA box contains a big head of it.  We already paid for it so we may as well eat, that's my argument!  The fact that I love cabbage soup and have never been able to make it is just an added bonus.  Tim ate the soup with no complaint, and said it was not as bad as he expected.  I count that as a success.  Baby steps.
This was not a sweet and sour cabbage soup as I seem to be averse to sweetness infringing on my savory lately.  This was a basic, hearty soup with a beef broth base and lots of other  chunky veggies.  The cabbage cooks down to a meaty consistency which I loved and We were both stuffed after one bowl.  I served this with a toasted piece of sourdough.  Tim topped his with Swiss cheese (of course).  We both walked away full of healthy foods. 

Cabbage Soup:
Adapted from: http://southernfood.about.com/od/cabbagesoups/r/blbb640.htm



2 medium onions, sliced
a few tablespoons of olive oil (enough to coat the pan)
2 cans of beef broth
1 head of cabbage, torn or coarsley shredded
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon dried dillweed
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of black pepper


Heat oil in a dutch oven and add onions.  Cook until tender.  Add broth, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, and carrots, and enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil.  Add seasonings and reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment