Saturday, April 18, 2009

Chilled Strawberry Soup

Okay, I know this sounds very strange. I really only made it because I wanted to see what the heck it would be like. Here is the recipe
1 C Apple Juice
3/4 C Water
2/3 C Sugar
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
1/8 t Ground Cloves
combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; Cool.




















3 C Strawberries
1/4 C water
Puree until smooth in blender. Pour into large bowl.





















2 C Plain yogurt
1 t Vanilla
2 drops Red Food Coloring

Add to pureed strawberries with the apple juice mixture. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Garnish with additional strawberry halves.

This is why you need food coloring...watch what happens as the ingredients are added:
1st picture-yogurt/vanilla addition
2nd picture-apple juice addition
3rd picture-food coloring
























































I was not going to use the food coloring at first, then I saw the nasty brown color and knew that Tim would scrunch his nose at me if I put that in front of him! Be careful if you are klutzy like me, I got red food coloring on my fingers and had to go to work the next couple of days looking like I cut my finger open, and did not clean it up!

Okay now for the review:
This recipe is delicious, but I have had the leftovers in a cup rather than a bowl. I like it as a drink, think: smoothy. It is really very refreshing, and sweet though. The cloves and cinnamon add a very interesting flavor that I thoroughly enjoyed. This was also very quick to make, which is nice on a busy spring day! Go try it, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised!

Recipe from: Simply In Season

No comments:

Post a Comment