Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sesame Chicken Couscous Salad

This recipe was not a huge hit with the guys, but I think that with a few minor adjustments, it could be very tasty. It is a nice light recipe, simple to make, and leaves you feeling satisfied, but not stuffed. This is a characteristic that I enjoy about Spring and Summer meals. In the winter, I enjoy feeling full, whereas in the summer I want to be just satisfied, but not weighed down by what I have eaten. I like to be able to walk, run, take a bike ride, at any time and not have to worry about letting my food settle first. Anyways, back to the recipe at hand. It had a wonderful combination of flavors, though it may have been a bit heavy on the lemon juice. Here is the recipe:

1.5 C Chicken Broth
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sesame or Olive Oil
combine and bring to a boil.





1 C Uncooked Couscous
Place in a large bowl and stir in boiling broth. Cover and let stand 5-8 minutes. Fluff with fork.

2 Green Onions Sliced
1 Lrg Sweet Red Pepper Chopped, optional


















Stir in. Cover and Refrigerate until chilled.


















1.5 C Sugar Snap Peas or Snow Peas (I left these out because I am not a huge fan)
3/4 C Broccoli Florets
Steam Peas 1 minute. Add Broccoli and steam 2 more minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water and drain.


















1 C Cooked Chicken chopped
Add to couscous with broccoli and peas

















1/4 C Lemon Juice
2 Tblsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Soy Sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp Sesame Oil optional
Combine and mix into couscous mixture.


1/4 C Slivered Almonds toasted
1 Tblsp Sesame Seeds toasted
Mix in immediately before serving. Serve Chilled or at room temperature.
Serves 4


















A few things that you should note before making this recipe:
It has a very tangy flavor, which I loved, so if you are into that, you will love it!
It will be better made the day before eating so that the flavors have time to blend together, and also so that the grains and vegetables soak up all that liquidy goodness.
You can add or eliminate ingredients as you please. This is a great base recipe, has a lot of potential for improvement, and probably just needs some experimentation :-) I am not ready to give up on this one yet!

Here is a full list of the ingredients:
1.5 C Chicken Broth
3 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil or Olive Oil
1 C Uncooked Couscous
2 Green Onions
1 Lrg Red Sweet Pepper
1.5 C Sugar Snap Peas or Snow Peas
3/4 C Broccoli Florets
1 C Cooked, Chopped Chicken
1/4 C Lemon Juice
2 Tblsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Sesame Oil-optional
1/4 C slivered, toasted almonds
1 Tblsp Sesame Seeds toasted

1 comment:

  1. This recipe was pretty good, but it didn't 'wow' me. The first night we ate this was the same night that Shawna made it. It had been refrigerated for only an hour or so and it was a bit watery. It almost could have passed for soup!

    This was definitely better after sitting for a day - the whole salad thickened and was a bit easier to eat. The consistency was much better the second day and I no longer felt like I should be eating it with a spoon rather than a fork.

    Overall I'd give this recipe a 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. It was pretty tasty and seemed quite healthy, but it had a bit too much lemon for my taste. As a side note, I also added a little pepper (to taste) and topped it off with Parmesan cheese which I thought was a good addition.

    With a little tweaking this could easily be a 4 star recipe but I do think the base recipe needs a little work.

    ReplyDelete