Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cookies n Cream Cookies



These cookies were good for the most part.  I thought that they were a little dry, so in the future I would add less oatmeal and bake them for a shorter time, but all-in-all they were really good. I just realized that I left out the brown sugar from the original recipe, but I cannot imagine these cookies being any sweeter, so I don't think that I will add it in the future either.  The combination of white and semi-sweet chocolate works really well, and the coconut adds some interest to some otherwise plain cookies.  The cookies have a lot of texture due to the oats and the coconut, which I like a lot. This is a good twist on your basic cookie without adding any extra work.  Who can argue with that?
The original recipe that I followed said to use a Cookies n Cream candy bar, but our grocery store didn't have them so I subbed in a combination of white and semi-sweet chocolate chips and that worked great!  I wouldn't waste the money on the candy bars, just do it my way!  :-)  If you do want to disobey my request then simply sub in two cups of chopped Cookies n Cream candy bar for the chocolate chips.  But I'm tellin' ya, it's a waste of money.  Okay, do what you want, I don't care :-p
One more note on cookie baking, and then I will let you look at the recipe.  I like to pull my cookies out of the oven a few minutes before they are actually done baking.  I let them complete the baking process on the cookie sheets.  This produces a much more moist cookie.  People who see me do this often tell me that I am making my cookies the wrong way, or that they are not cooked all they way, blah, blah, blah.  Then they try my cookies and they stop complaining.  I highly recommend this method.   All cookies made any other way now seem dry and over-cooked to me.
Okay, you may read the recipe now.

Cookies n Cream Cookies
Recipe adapted from Taste and Tell

2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 C white chocolate chips
2 C old fashioned rolled oats
1 C sweetened coconut

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Cream your butter and sugar together until light and creamy.  Add eggs and mix one at a time.  Stir in vanilla.
Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add and mix gradually to the butter mixture until combined.  Stir in oats, chocolate, and coconut.
Drop batter in spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets, or, my personal favorite, baking stones.  Bake 16 minutes.  (Watch them as they get close to 16 minutes, mine were definitely over-cooked at the 16 minute mark, but everyone's oven is different).

No comments:

Post a Comment