Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tuesday Night Dinners

We always try to eat light on Tuesday nights.  We end up eating a lot for dessert because we meet up with a small group of couples from our church, so we try to save room for whatever goodies await us.  Last week we tried this Israeli style salad for dinner, and we loved it.  Of course I got the idea from my favorite cookbook-Simple In Season.  You do not need a recipe for this, and I basically looked at their idea once and threw it together based on memory. It is so simple to throw together and you just feel good after you eat it.  It brought me back to my visit to Israel several years ago.  Meals were so simple there-you would grab a hard boiled egg and some fresh produce.  Maybe some warm pita and be on your way.  We decided to institute this as our Tuesday night meal until we get sick of it. 



The amount of veggies that you use will depend on how many people you are feeding.  This is enough for the two of us, plus a little extra.

2 Tomatoes
1 Cucumber
1/4 Large Sweet Onion
1 Small Green Pepper
2 hard boiled eggs
Fresh bread
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper

Cut up all your veggies.  I like to keep my veggie pieces pretty big, but cut them however you like. Put all of the veggies in a large bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil and lemon juice.  Mix, taste, adjust.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve in a bowl and top with a hard boiled egg.  Serve with warm pita or a hearty bread. 
The first time I made this I had some leftover cooked brown rice, so I added that.  It was a good addition that made the salad a lot more filling.  It was also a good way to use up that extra rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment