Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Curried kale with lentils and mango

This is one of the delicious things that has been inspired by the CSA produce box.  In my box this week I got a big, beautiful, green bunch of kale.  Now, it's not like I have never eaten kale before, but it is definitely not on regular rotation in our kitchen.  Plus, when I signed up for this weekly produce delivery I promised myself that I was going to find fun and different ways to use the ingredients that I recieved each week.  I vowed not to waste anything, and to experiment even with the most seemingly boring of ingredients.  The nice thing about the CSA that I joined (Simply Wisconsin) is that they send you an e-mail a few days in advance letting you know what will be in your box so that you can plan accordingly.  This gave me a little time to search for fun ways to use kale.  This recipe caught my eye, and I am so glad that I tried it! You know I am a sucker for beautiful food and this dish is bright and colorful, with great teture and depth.  It also tastes great!  I ever expected Tim to like Kale, but he ate it happily, and even packed some of the extras up in a tupperware for his lunch the next day. (I usually have to guilt him into taking leftovers that he is not interested in so that they don't go bad, but I did not say a word with this.) The curry powder adds a distinct flavor to otherwise boring kale, and the mango adds a nice sweet balance.  Please try this whether you are a kale devotee or not.  You will not regret it.

Curried Kale with Lentils and Mango
*Recipe from Tasty Kitchen poster Foodology

What you need:
1/2 Cup of lentils, rinsed and sorted
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
1 Shallot, sliced
1 cloce Garlic, minced
1 bunch Kale, washed, stemmed, chopped-be sure to remove the large ribs from the kale leaves because they are hard to chew
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 whole lemon
1 mango, peeled and chopped into large chunks

Boil your lentils for 20-25 minutes.
While the lentils cook heat the oil in a large pot (I used my dutch oven and it was the perfect size).  Add the onions and shallot and cook for about five minutes-until translucent.  Add garlic, kale, salt, pepper, and curry powder.  Cook about 2 minutes.  Add the lentils and juice from the lemon and cook until kale is wilted, but still bright green in color.  Once the kale is cooked, turn off heat and stir in the mango.  We had this with lamb chops and it was the perfect accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment