Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lamb Chops with Pistachio Tapenade

Oh. My. God.  That is all that I have to say.  Now I have to go eat more lamb.



Just kidding, I would not be so cruel as to leave you without the recipe to this heavenly dish.

Lamb is definitely one of my favorite foods, and it is by far my favorite type of meat.  I always order it at restaurants, but this is the first time that I have made it at home.  Lamb, you see, is crazy expensive, at least in my frugal little mind it is.  I saw this recipe though, and I knew I had to at least give it a whirl.  Next time I host someone for dinner, this is what I am making.  It is simple to throw together, the meat melts in your mouth all the while hitting every taste bud with a delicious combination of nutty, salty, and fresh.  Please make this.  You will impress people immensely.  And do me a favor.  Serve this with a simple salad or green veggie.  Do not make anything that will try to compete with this delicious meat.  You will be sorry.  Yes, that is a threat. 

Lamb Chops with Pistachio Tapenade
*Slightly tweaked from Smitten Kitchen who slightly adapted it from Anne Burrell


1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and toasted
1/2 cup pitted green olives
2 tablespoons capers
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zested
Fresh Lemon Juice
6 lamb chops
Salt


To make the pistachio tapenade: In a food processor combine the pistachios, olives, capers, garlic, herbs and puree. While the machine is running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until the mixture becomes a paste. Add the zest and pulse 1 more time, drizzling in more oil if necessary. Add lemon juice to taste.  This just helps to counteract a little of the saltiness.  It was a bit too much for me.  Reserve until ready to use.
Cook your chops: Season your six lamb chops generously on either side with salt.  Allow them to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a large saute pan generously with olive oil and bring to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the lamb chops and cook for about 2 minutes on each side to brown. If the pan begins to smoke, lower the heat. The chops should be beautifully caramelized on both sides. Remove the chops to a sheet pan and top with the pistachio tapenade. Use all of it.  I know it looks like a lot.  Too much even.  It's not.  Trust me.  Place in preheated oven and cook another 4 to 5 minutes for medium rare. I had to cook mine for way longer than 4-5 minutes.  Probably closer to 10.  Maybe my lamb chops were gigantic, but I would recommend checking the internal temperature after 4-5 minutes, and then continue cooking as needed until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.  Remove chops from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. This was soooooo good! Even after freezing some of the leftovers then thawing and reheating it later it was still excellent!

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete