Monday, August 17, 2009

Blueberry Boy Bait

I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen's Blog. I immediately bookmarked it, and then, like I do with most recipes that I excitedly bookmark, I forgot about it for a while. This past weekend however I needed desserts for 2 separate occasions, and this fresh, unique cake popped into my mind. I was completely confident that it would be delicious, so I made two and used the same kind of cake for both events. I am glad that I made this decision because simply doubling this recipe was way less work than making two completely separate desserts, and it was delicious, so Tim and I did not mind eating it Saturday night and then again on Sunday afternoon. I used frozen blueberries because the ones at our local fruit market were not great this week. The frozen-ness did not affect the cake in any way. It was still perfect.

Blueberry Boy Bait

What you will need:

2 Cups plus 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 Cup Whole Milk-I used nonfat powdered milk (mixed with water), because that is all I had and it did not seem to make a difference. The consistency seemed perfect to me.
1 Cup Blueberries
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Grease a 13x9 cake pan.

Mix 2 Cups of flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside. In a mixer bowl combine butter, 1/2 Cup granulated sugar and all of the brown sugar. Cream until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add one third of th flour mixture, mix, then half of the milk, mix, then another third of the flour mixture, mix, the rest of the milk, mix, and the rest of the flour mixture, mix. In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 C of the blueberries with the remaining teaspoon of flour, and gently fold these, by hand, into the batter. Pour batter into your prepared pan.

For the topping scatter the remaining half cup of blueberries on top of the batter. Mix 1/4 Cup of sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle this mixture on top of the berries. Bake 40-50 minutes (smitten kitchen says 45-50, but 45 was too long in my oven and I ended up with burnt edges. If your oven runs hot, try 40 minutes, and then check with a toothpick or clean knife) until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. If you desire a little extra decadence, serve with french vanilla ice cream. yum!





































These are the burnt ends that I cut off of the cake. They are still tasty, they just look ugly, so I cut them off and snacked on them myself :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment