Saturday, August 22, 2009

Brown Sugar and Bacon Waffles

Tim's favorite type of food in the world is breakfast food. He has actually requested that we do breakfast for dinner once a week. He LOVES breakfast! I knew ahead of time that we would be having breakfast for dinner last night, and was not in the mood for plain old pancakes or waffles. I started to think of what I could add to make the batter a little more exciting and the usual suspects of fresh fruit or chocolate chips just weren't doing much for me at that point. We had some turkey bacon in the fridge and I thought "why not put it in the batter instead of eating it on the side?" I ran this idea by Tim. He seemed a bit unsure, but up to the experiment. He is used to me getting random food combination ideas throughout the day, this is just how my brain works. This turned out to be really delicious. We have some work to do on translating our pancake batter to waffle batter, but everything else was perfect. For my pancakes I use a from-scratch mixture that you make ahead in bulk. This is easy because it is not any more work than using out-of-the-box mixtures, but tastes so so so SO much better. This is something Tim learned when he married me. He had never experience real pancakes before. He thought the boxed stuff was good and had no desire to try anything else, and then I fed him real pancakes and he knew he could never go back. If you are one of these people who normally eat pancakes that come from a pre-made mixture, please stop doing that. You are settling for sub-par pancakes. I will put the recipe that I use below in this post, I hope you will try it.

In order to transform your plain pancakes or waffles into Bacon and Brown Sugar goodness, do this:

Cook and crumble about 1/3 Cup of bacon. Turkey or Pork Bacon will work for this. Add this to your batter.

















Add about 2 heaping tablespoons of brown sugar, some cinnamon, and a tablespoon of maple syrup to the batter. If you have real maple syrup, that is preferred, but you can use the fake stuff too. We did. We are cheap. Stir this up and carry on like you normally would.


















Delicious. Not too sweet. Sweet enough, for sure. Add some butter, maybe some syrup if you prefer some extra sweetness, and dig in.




















Basic Pancake Mix:
*Taken from: More-With-Less by Doris Janzen Longacre

for 2 lbs of pancake mix:

combine in a large bowl:
6 C flour
1 tablespoon Salt
6 tablespoons Baking Powder
6 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
2 C Powdered Milk

Mix well and store in an airtight container. When you are ready to use it, combine in large bowl:

1 egg (beaten first)
1 C Water
2 tablespoons Oil
1.5 C Pancake Mix

This will serve 3-4 people.

I replaced 1/6 of the white flour with soy flour to add some protein. Another option is to substitute 1/3 of the white flour with buckwheat flour, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, or rye flour along with cornmeal.

4 comments:

  1. Shawna, these look dee-lish. Bacon just makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really hungry now.

    Just to let you know I have a giveaway on my blog theprovidentwoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had printed this off the Taste & Tell blog and we just had them for dinner this week. Nate said, "some bites are just okay and then you hit a piece with bacon and it's aMAZing."

    ~Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taste and Tell did this too? I just made it up as I went.

    ReplyDelete