Saturday, March 6, 2010

Summer Food, it's time...
















What better way to welcome a beautiful blue sky, relatively warm weather, and the begining of the weekend than with a big plate of s'mores? I don't know about you but the combination of crunchy graham, gooey mallow, and rich chocolate is enough to help me visualize myself at the lake in front of a fire roasting marshmallows. I am ready. I know there are still some cold days ahead, but I can taste Summer, and that is all that counts right now. We had a few friends over last night, I served a big plate of these. They disappeared very quickly. Even your worst enemy would fail to turn these babies down.

S'mores Cookies
Recipe from: Savory Sweet Life

You will need:
1 box of graham crackers
1 bag of chocolate chips
1 bag of mini marshmallow-I did not use the whole bag, only most of it.

Turn your broiler on high.
Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Break your graham rectangles into squares and lay as many as you can in a single layer on the parchment paper. Make sure to keep them super close together with no gaps in between. Pour your marshmallows over the grahams and then your chocolate chips. Put this in the broiler for 5-10 minutes. Mine only took 5 but every oven is different. Keep a close eye on them to make sure the tops of the marshmallows don't burn. When they are done pull them out and top them with the remaining graham cracker squares. I did not end up using the whole box, so just go with what fits on your cookie sheet. Push the top layer of graham crackers down so that they stick to the marshmallows. When they have had a few minutes to set break them into squares and eat, or store in an airtight container.
We ate these the day after I made them, which I liked. They had hardened a bit which made them a lot easier to eat.

If you love s'mores there is no reason for you not to welcome the warmer weather with this recipe. It's simple and comforting. nothin' better!

1 comment:

  1. These were good, and extremely easy to make (although Shawna made them, not I - I witnessed her making them). There is something about S'mores that makes them very addicting. The only big difference between these and the real thing is that you don't get the campfire flavor in the marshmallows, but they are still just as good.

    The only note I will make about this recipe would be that if you want them to taste even better, splurge a little on the chocolate chips. We have a Costco sized bag of Nestle chocolate chips, but I think this recipe would have been even more addicting with a high quality dark chocolate such as Ghirardelli's dark chocolate chips. Graham crackers and marshmallows are pretty standard, so you don't gain anything by buying name brand on those. But even with the Nestle milk chocolate chips, these were very addicting (I ate more than my fair share).

    ReplyDelete