Monday, March 22, 2010

Sun Dried Tomato and Artichoke Hummus

Sunday afternoon the same question always rolls around..."What are we gonna do for dinner?" Tim will say.  I usually do not have anything planned for Sunday night, and usually end up throwing together some sort of pasta dish, or just eating cereal.  Last night I decided to go with a good standby: Hummus.  I had some sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts leftover from another dish, and I knew I wanted to use them up in an interesting way.  Sun dried tomatoes are always good in hummus-I add them any time I can!  I had never tried adding artichoke hearts though.  They added a really nice flavor balance.  Their tartness helped to make up for the fact that I did not have nearly enough lemon juice for my normal hummus recipe. Tim thought that they made the hummus smell funny, but I think it smells funny anyways.  The color of this hummus was also more appealing than the normal beige color.  It had a slightly red tint, and you could see small pieces of the tomatoes in there.

Sun dried tomato and artichoke hummus

1 15 oz can chick peas
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 large cloves garlic
2 tablespoons chopped onion
4 pieces artichoke hearts
sun dried tomatoes-I am not actually sure how many I added...eyeball it.
good quality olive oil

Add all of the ingredients, except the olive oil, to a large food processor and blend until smooth.  Drizzle in some olive oil and blend again.  Keep adding olive oil until it is nice and smooth.  Transfer to a bowl and drizzle some more olive oil on top.  Serve with warm pita or pita chips and fresh veggies.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I have been craving hummus, and bought some sundried tomatoes the other day. I think this would be a great appy for next weekend with a baguette!
    Thanks for sharing, looking forward to having this!

    ReplyDelete